Get Cooking & Get Healthy with Chef Mitchell
Thanks to award-winning chef Jeffrey Mitchell of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center for showing us how to make this hearty, healthy vegetarian dish for Meatless Monday. The film crew can attest: it is truly delicious!
Here's the recipe with measurements. It will make 8 servings. Give it a try at home, and let us know how it turns out.
2 ounces pearled barley
2 ounces quinoa
2 ounces lentils1-1/2 ounces wild rice
2-1/2 ounces zucchini
2-1/2 ounces yellow squash
1/8 ounces chopped garlic
1/4 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup parsley or cilantro
1/2 ounce red onions
1-1/4 ounce olive oil
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 ounce Dijon mustard
4 medium red peppers
- Separately cook lentils, quinoa, wild rice and barley in accordance with the directions for those items. Set aside.
- Finely chop zucchini, squash, parsley (or cilantro), grape tomatoes, red onions, and garlic. Then combine in a large bin or mixing bowl.
- Combine red wine vinegar, juice from lemons, Dijon mustard, and olive oil. Pour over grain and vegetable mixture.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and excess membrane.
- Blanch peppers in hot water or steamer until tender -- about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stuff pepper halves full with mixture.
- Cook at 325 degrees into cooked through, about 18 to 22 minutes.
Thanks again to Chef Mitchell and Healthy Monday Syracuse/Meatless Monday partner St. Joseph's Hospital.