Campus Events and News
Healthy Monday Syracuse is thrilled to partner with a number of departments on campus to bring you Healthy Monday programs. Whether you want to incorporate more healthy foods into your diet or try out a fitness class, we have a range of program offerings to help you stay healthy on campus. Our programs are always free, and unless noted otherwise, registration is not required. Healthy Monday programs are open to the entire Syracuse University community- that includes you too, faculty and staff!
Spring 2014 Programs:
Move-it Monday and Fit Friday fitness classes:
- A free fitness class is offered every Monday and Friday during the semester in the Flanagan Fitness Studio. All classes are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and no advance registration is required. A variety of classes are offered and participants of all skill levels are encouraged to attend.
- Classes will begin on Friday, January 24th and run through April 28th. Monday classes are held from 5:15-6:00pm and Friday classes are held from 12:10-1:00pm.
- Check the Monday and Friday class schedules- we hope you'll drop by!
The Monday Mile:
- No time to attend a fitness class? Check out the Monday Mile SU Campus loop, the route begins and ends in front of Schine Student Center.
- Did you participate in our Walktober event this past fall? We received excellent feedback and are planning a springtime walking program. Check back soon for more details!
- Explore the benefits of meditation. This class offers meditation instruction and practice to the SU community. Meditation is held every Monday from 12:00 (noon)-1:00pm in the small chapel on the lower level of Hendricks Chapel. The meditation emphasizes the health benefits of regular meditation. All skill levels are welcome and the practice is secular. This mindfulness practice can help improve attention and focus, reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing.
- SU Food Services offers a daily variety of healthy, meatless options to help you go meatless on SU's campus. If you're looking for meatless specials off campus, check out some of our Restaurant Partners.
- Once again for the spring semester, we're partering with OrangeWrap to sample some of the tasty meatless dishes available in campus dining centers. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get an up-to-date schedule of these food tastings.
Weekly Free Fruit:
- Every Monday during the school year, free fruit is available at Archbold Gym, Ernie Davis Fitness Center, the Marshall Square Mall Fitness Center, Health Services, and People's Place in Hendricks Chapel. Extra deliveries of fruit are brought to Archbold at 12pm and 4pm and Health Services at 12pm.
50 Days of Fitness: The SU Heart Walk
- This year, the American Heart Association (AHA) is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Syracuse Heart Walk. SU employees who sign up for the Heart Walk and join Recreation Services’ winter wellness program, “Fifty Days of Fitness,” will receive a free pedometer and the chance to earn incentive prizes for distance logged, as well as funds raised. Find out more about how SU employees can become involved with the Heart Walk and wellness program.
National Public Health Week:
- Since 1995, the public health community has recognized the first week in April as National Public Health Week celebrating the achievements in public health and observing the issues currently faced. It is an opportunity to educate the public, inform policy makers and support practitioners who are making a difference in public health. Healthy Monday observes this week by planning some special events and activities for the campus community to promote good health. This year, we will be leading a Monday Mile walk that is free and open to the campus. We will be joined by Lisa Thomas, Registered Dietician for SU Health Services. Following the walk, Lisa will be the guest speaker for a lunch lecture on Mindful Eating. View the flyer for this event and email email@example.com if you would like to register to attend. These events are free and open to the public.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our inagural Walktober event! It was a great success and we look forward to next year's Walktober. Click the image below for some highlights from the program.
Community Events and News
We are pleased that SUNY Upstate is embracing Healthy Monday. Check out their blog What's Up at Upstate for the latest Healthy Monday tips , as well as happenings at Upstate and in the community! SUNY Upstate's wellness program, Pathway to Wellness has information on wellness programs at Upstate, including the Monday Mile. In partnership with Upstate's Community campus and Van Duyn Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing we will be introducing a new Monday Mile route connecting both campuses this spring. Keep up with us for more details!
Check-out our partnerships with local restaurants for Meatless Monday menu options!
Crouse Hospital's Simply Well wellness program has a Monday Mile club to promote employee and family wellness with a non-competitive walking initiative that provides an opportunity to exercise, meet others and enjoy scenic locations in Central New York.
The YMCA Folksmarch program has partnered with Healthy Monday Syracuse to launch a Monday Mile club to provide, for people of all ages and abilities, the opportunity to exercise, meet others, and enjoy CNY scenic locations. If you are a YMCA Member, stop into your local Y to pick up your Monday Mile Passport! You can also pick up a Folksmarch Monday Mile Passport at their monthly walks.
Looking for a way to get fit? Walk a Monday Mile. We installed a route in the Near West Side neighborhood in summer 2013 and two new routes have been installed in Barry Park and Schiller Park. Walk them, and let us know what you think!