Campus Events and News
Healthy Monday Syracuse is thrilled to partner with a number of departments on campus to bring you Healthy Monday programs. Whether you want to incorporate more healthy foods into your diet or try out a fitness class, we have a range of program offerings to help you stay healthy on campus. Our programs are always free, and unless noted otherwise, registration is not required. Healthy Monday programs are open to the entire Syracuse University community- that includes you too, faculty and staff!
Spring 2014 Programs:
National Public Health Week
Many thanks to Lisa Thomas, Registered Dietitian with SU Health Services for speaking at our lunch and learn held on Monday, April 7th as part of a series of lectures for National Public Health Week. For those who have asked and those unable to attend, Lisa has shared her presentation with us on mindful eating.
Walk with Us
Join us every Monday during the month of April for our Walk with Us series. We'll meet every Monday at noon in front of Hendricks Chapel to walk the SU Monday Mile with special guests from the Syracuse Community. See the flyer for more details. Enjoy spring and have a chance to win prizes!
Sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs, Wellness Week is designed to showcase all the health and wellness opportunities available on campus. Healthy Monday events during wellness week feature a Monday meditation, Monday Mile walk, Move it Monday fitness class, Meatless Monday Try Me and a fun run. Click the image above for a calendar of events for the week.
Move-it Monday and Fit Friday fitness classes:
- A free fitness class is offered every Monday and Friday during the semester in the Flanagan Fitness Studio. All classes are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and no advance registration is required. A variety of classes are offered and participants of all skill levels are encouraged to attend.
- Classes will begin on Friday, January 24th and run through April 28th. Monday classes are held from 5:15-6:00pm and Friday classes are held from 12:10-1:00pm.
- Check the Monday and Friday class schedules- we hope you'll drop by!
The Monday Mile:
- No time to attend a fitness class? Check out the Monday Mile SU Campus loop, the route begins and ends in front of Schine Student Center.
- Explore the benefits of meditation. This class offers meditation instruction and practice to the SU community. Meditation is held every Monday from 12:00 (noon)-1:00pm in the small chapel on the lower level of Hendricks Chapel. The meditation emphasizes the health benefits of regular meditation. All skill levels are welcome and the practice is secular. This mindfulness practice can help improve attention and focus, reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing.
- For SU employees interested in learning more about mindfulness practices, the University Wellness Initiative is sponsoring several information sessions and will hold a course in mindfulness based stress reduction. The dates and locations are as follows:
- April 23, 2014 from 5:00-6:00pm, Hall of Languages 500, MBSR information session
- April 30, 2014 from 5:00-6:00pm, Hall of Languages 500, MBSR information session
- May 7-June 25, 2014, Wednesdays from 5:00-7:00pm, MBSR course (registration required, course is $40)
Those interested in participating can register by emailing email@example.com to reserve a space.
- SU Food Services offers a daily variety of healthy, meatless options to help you go meatless on SU's campus. If you're looking for meatless specials off campus, check out some of our Restaurant Partners.
- Once again for the spring semester, we're partering with OrangeWrap to sample some of the tasty meatless dishes available in campus dining centers. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get an up-to-date schedule of these food tastings.
Weekly Free Fruit:
- Every Monday during the school year, free fruit is available at Archbold Gym, Ernie Davis Fitness Center, the Marshall Square Mall Fitness Center, Health Services, and People's Place in Hendricks Chapel. Extra deliveries of fruit are brought to Archbold at 12pm and 4pm and Health Services at 12pm.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our inagural Walktober event! It was a great success and we look forward to next year's Walktober. Click the image below for some highlights from the program.
Community Events and News
Green Streets & Local Eats:
Join us on Monday, April 21st for a Monday Mile walk in celebration of Earth Week 2014. Meet us for one of these walks:
- Meet at City Hall for a downtown Monday Mile walk at 12:15pm
- Meet outside of Hendricks Chapel at noon for the SU campus loop with Otto the Orange
- Meet Taino Palermo at SALT Quarters (corner of Otisco and Wyoming) for the Near West Side Monday Mile at noon
- Meet at the intersection of University and Waverly for a "green mile" along the Connective Corridor
See the flyer below for more information on all the events for the day!
In partnership with Upstate University Hospital's Community Campus and Van Duyn Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing, we will be introducing a Monday Mile route connecting both campuses this spring. The signs are being installed and there will be a community walk on Monday, May 5th at 12:00 noon leaving from the start of the route near the emergency department on Community's campus. Stay tuned for more details!
Crouse Hospital's Simply Well wellness program has a Monday Mile club to promote employee and family wellness with a non-competitive walking initiative that provides an opportunity to exercise, meet others and enjoy scenic locations in Central New York.
The YMCA Folksmarch program has partnered with Healthy Monday Syracuse to launch a Monday Mile club to provide, for people of all ages and abilities, the opportunity to exercise, meet others, and enjoy CNY scenic locations. If you are a YMCA Member, stop into your local Y to pick up your Monday Mile Passport! You can also pick up a Folksmarch Monday Mile Passport at their monthly walks.
Looking for a way to get fit? Walk a Monday Mile. We installed a route in the Near West Side neighborhood in summer 2013 and two new routes have been installed in Barry Park and Schiller Park. Walk them, and let us know what you think! Coming in spring 2014 are routes at Upstate's Community campus and St. Joseph's Hospital.
Check-out our partnerships with local restaurants for Meatless Monday menu options!
Did you know that area hospitals have gone meatless on Monday? That's right, the dining facilities at Upstate University Hospital, Crouse Hospital and St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center all offer delicious and healthy Meatless Monday options for employees, patients and visitors.