Sarah Al-Sheraidi Says Show NY Water Some Love!

On November 19th I, alongside my HTW 221 team mates, tabled for the I Love NY Water campaign. Our group gave away over 200 I Love NY Water bottles to students and employees on campus. Throughout the morning I had a lot of students and faculty ask me what our campaign was about, and I had others passing by and saying things like, “ Who doesn’t love NY water?” and writing our campaign off without understanding what it was all about. So, what is “I Love NY Water” about anyway? It is a campaign that promotes the use of New York state tap water, instead of bottled water that people would buy from a store, or vending machine. By pledging to use tap water whenever possible, a person is pledging to help keep our environment cleaner by keeping plastic out of our landfills. Did you know that it takes plastic, on average, 450 years to biodegrade? Another tidbit of information to consider is that tap water is often filtered better than bottled water, and it’s cheaper too. Think about it, the average price for a sixteen ounce bottle of water is around two dollars. A gallon of tap water, by comparison, is around one dollar and twenty-two cents or less. The main idea behind this campaign is very simple, decrease your carbon footprint by switching to tap water instead of bottled water. Switching to tap water is a very easy way to help your planet and your wallet.

To learn more, check out the Healthy Monday page on I Love NY Water, and the EPA (to learn more about tap water, and how it’s filtered).