An Apple A Day

Original post by: Colleen Sheehan

Apple chipAutumn is the best season for many reasons, but ask anyone who knows me and they will all tell you…fall is my favorite season for one reason only; apples. It’s as simple as that.

They are fresh, crisp, juicy, and delicious; the perfect snack. You really can’t go wrong when including them in your favorite fall recipes.

Although I may have gotten a little carried away with the apples this year when I found myself with 14 pounds of them in my apartment that were freshly picked from a local orchard, and only one roommate to share them with.

But as the saying goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” And I’ve been living that motto since. Or 2 or 3 apples a day….

Apple     Cinnamon     Apple

I use them for everything from eating them whole as a snack, to slicing them into salads, or baked desserts. My favorite way to prepare them though, is to use them to make apple chips. I am definitely one to snack throughout the day, and instead of consuming calorie-laden snacks between meals, these light, crisp chips are the perfect solution for on the go!

Recipe:

• 3 Apples (I used Cortland for the chips)
  • Cinnamon

(Add just a sprinkle of sugar if you please! I personally omitted this step. These apples are so sweet just as they are!)

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees and prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  2. Slice the apples as thinly as possible (The thinner they are, the crispier they will be!)
  3. Lay them in a single layer on your pan, and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon.
  4. Put them in the oven for 2 hours, taking out the pan and flipping the apples after 1 hour has passed. Though two hours may seem like a while to bake, cooking them on a low heat for a longer time was what I found made the crispiest most satisfying treat when they were done!

You might surprise yourself to see how much schoolwork you can get done in this time it takes to bake this delicious treat!

You’ll not only have an inexpensive, healthy, homemade snack to keep you satisfied during long nights of studying, but your apartment will smell like warm apple pie for days to come! And lets be real, who wouldn’t like that?

Apple Chips