Have Your Spaghetti and Eat It Too!

Sheehan_squash1Original post by: Colleen Sheehan

I’m back with another recipe that’s simple to make, affordable, hearty, and healthy!!

As the colder months come around, especially as the snow starts to fall and the days become shorter, I find that what I crave most are warm, hearty meals to make the cold weather a bit more bearable.

But while many people are already expecting to pack on a few pounds during the winter because of their eating habits, what if I told you that you can have your spaghetti and eat it too?!

When looking to make a filling, satisfying meal, I’ve been turning to spaghetti squash. It’s affordable, absolutely delicious, super easy to make, and did I mention that it’s a squash that gives you the exact feeling of eating a giant bowl of pasta?!

This winter squash is currently in-season, nutrient dense, and relatively low in calories, making it the perfect addition to a balanced diet!

I have been able to find spaghetti squash available at Tops, Trader Joes, and Wegmans, but I have found it cheapest at the Syracuse Regional Farmers Market! It is so easy to make, and you can even cook it in the microwave if you are confined to dorm-room style cooking!

Sheehan_squash2     Sheehan_Squash3     Sheehan_Squash4

Ingredients:

1 Medium Spaghetti Squash

Pasta Sauce

Directions:

1. Preheat the over 400 degrees while prepping your squash.

2. Cut spaghetti squash vertically down the center. You’ll find that the inside is very similar to a pumpkin!

3. Scoop out seeds and all the insides with a spoon. If you choose, separate and rinse the seeds for roasting, just like you would with pumpkin seeds.  Here are some tips on roasting the seeds. (Spaghetti and an extra bonus snack in one squash? How great is that?!)

4. Once clean, lay each squash cut side down on a baking sheet.

5. Place in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the squash. The squash will be tender when done. A fork should be able to easily pierce the skin into the inner layers of the squash when it’s ready. You can also taste test it at this point by flipping it over and tasting the “noodles”. If it’s too “al dente” for your liking, stick it back in the oven!

6. When the squash is finished cooking, flip it over and begin to use a fork to rake out the “noodles.” They run horizontally across the squash, so pull your fork across the squash the short way to create the longest noodles!

Sheehan_Squash5Now Serve! I usually like to make mine right before eating it, but it will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about a week, or even in the freezer for a couple of months!

Pour over your favorite pasta sauce, or make your own if you’re feeling more ambitious! And there you have a perfect, hearty winter meal.

It’s so much like real spaghetti; it even twirls around your fork for that perfect bite!

Enjoy!!!