Roasted Chickpeas

Roasted chickpeasOriginal post by: Colleen Sheehan

As college students, we stay up late studying, pulling all-nighters to finish essays, online internship searching, and other college aged kid shenanigans. It’s no wonder that it seems harder than ever to stay healthy when suddenly it’s one a.m., your stomach is growling, and you still have another 5 pages to write! It didn’t come as a surprise to me when Syracuse University was rated #1 for the amount of late night food ordered.

Many times we reach for something easy, crunchy, salty, or sweet; something to mindlessly munch on to satisfy those late night cravings. Even when advertised as ‘healthier,’ many snacks that are considered ‘reduced fat,’ ‘low carb,’ or even ‘skinny’ snacks are still processed, packaged, and full of added sugars to create flavor that consumers will buy!

This got me thinking; what if we could take whole foods and create something just as enjoyable and satisfying without all of the nasty processed additives and that comes with natural health benefits?

The answer is Oven-Roasted Chickpeas!

They are crunchy, filling, super easy, and cheap for a college student’s budget, healthy, functions as a snack within a well balanced diet, and you can customize the recipe to make them spicy or sweet to your liking!

Garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) are a nutrient dense food, providing fiber, protein, potassium, vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, iron, selenium, and magnesium.  By regularly consuming these nutrients, it will support your bone health, heart health, can help prevent inflammation, and can help you maintain a healthy weight!

All of this in a snack food?! Who would’ve thought?

Trust me, this recipe couldn’t be simpler! Personally, I prefer mine spicy, so I used the following ingredients.  There’s not much rhyme or reason to it! Season it to the level of your liking and don’t be afraid to experiment with new flavors!

Ingredients:

• 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Paprika
  • Hot Sauce

Directions:

1. Preheat the over to 400° F
  2. I recommend that you peel the chickpeas before baking. It’s quicker than you may think, and it provides an extra crunch that I think is definitely worth it!
  3. Toss the chickpeas in a drizzle of olive oil and your seasonings of choice.
  4. Now all that’s left to do is pop them in the oven! Bake them for about 30 minutes (or until crunchy), taking them out halfway through to flip them so that they toast evenly on all sides.

chickpeas     Spices and hot sauce     peeling chickpeas     chickpeas roasting

Voila! You’re done! A healthy harmless snack for those late night snack cravings, on-the-go between classes, or for when you’re just hanging out with friends.  I wouldn’t be lying if I told you that I always keep some within arms reach!

Roasted Chickpeas